Thursday, September 11, 2008

Half-Staff

I didn't realize it was Patriot Day until I was driving to preschool and I noticed one of the flags I drive by everyday was half-staff. It took me only a moment to figure out the reason why. I then turned on the radio because my favorite station always commemorates this day with patriotic songs and stories. I almost had a tear in my eye as I sang "American Soldier" with Toby Keith. I have so many memories from this day seven years ago, and I hold those memories so dear and so close. I love this country and know that Heavenly Father chose for me to live here for a reason and so I hope to only bring this country honor as so many other people do like the "American Soldier". I Googled Patriot Day just to see what I could find and I loved the description from Wikipedia. It excited me to see that the vote to dub September 11th as Patriot Day was unanimous. I hope we can remember this day when all Americans stood together to defend our freedom.

Patriot Day

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United States, Patriot Day occurs on September 11 of each year, designated in memory of the nearly three thousand who died in the September 11, 2001, attacks. Most Americans refer to the day as "Nine-Eleven (9/11)," "September 11th," "Nine-one-one," or some variation thereof.

U.S. House of Representatives Joint Resolution 71 was approved by a vote of 407-0 on October 25, 2001. It requested that the President designate September 11 of each year as "Patriot Day." President George W. Bush signed the resolution into law on December 18, 2001.

Initially, the day was called the National Day of Prayer and Remembrance for the Victims Of the Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001.

On September 4, 2002, President Bush used his authority created by the resolution and proclaimed September 11, 2002, as Patriot Day. He has continued to make similar declarations every year since.

On this day, the President directs that the American flag be flown at half-staff and displayed from individual American homes, at the White House, and on all U.S. government buildings and establishments, home and abroad. The President also asks Americans to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 A.M. (Eastern Daylight Time) marking the first plane crash on September 11, 2001.

Some countries have also shared Patriot Day with the U.S. as well.

1 comment:

Jason and Ronda said...

Hey Hillary, I just read your post and I will always remember that day.. It's so crazy to think about how it all went.. I remember everything that day which makes it so crazy! My friends and I afterwards were talking about it how our children will read it in there history books and they will be asking us about it, and Jason's little sister was telling me how it is already in her history book and I thought it was crazy.. I can't help but get teary eyed when September 11th approaches just because of the memories that day, our soldiers fighting for us and for the freedom that we still have over that horrible tragedy. Anyway, I could go on.. thanks for that post.